Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Fabrication

SFT Search:   

Old 08-26-2007, 11:54 AM

Default snow plow plans

Does anyone have plans for building a small snowplow that can be attached to a Jeep? I would like to attach to its on bumper that way I can use my other bumper that is built for my other adventures.

thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 03:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Southers

Great topic. I rescued a snowplow motor from the scrap heap and was thinking of puting a plow on my "beater" 91 Ford Explorer. I have a plow truck but it would be handy for knockin the driveway in the morning or clearing the mailbox or even my brothers driveway (I rarely take my plow truck off the mountain)
Old 08-26-2007, 06:13 PM
More STEAM!!

I am not trying to be an A$$ or anything but look at a cataloge like Northern Tools and some of the other book that sell snow plows and see how plows they sell have been constructed.

Look underneath the truck and see how the plow is connected to the truck. Take some pic of ones that you see and than design your own. That is the way that I build the tools that I use.

Very, very seldom do I have a set of plans to work from. I just completed a set of quick attach hooks for my tractor that all I had to work from was a couple of pictures.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:30 PM
Below Wholesale

around these parts you can buy a well used complete snowplow for very little. If we knew where you lived I would know if you were close enough to be interested in the $300 Fisher I have up for sale now. One could not buy the pump and valve for that amount let alone all the steel to build.

The point of this is why reinvent the wheel. There are thousands of used plows out there at very cheap prices. If you want something custom or a project hats one thing..but if you just want a basic plow to push snow with just buy one. If you want a custom "minute mount" setup to work with you bumper, a project plow is a great starting place. Just buying the blade alone would save considerable time and expense.

Last edited by Cavalry; 08-26-2007 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-26-2007, 06:58 PM
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalry
If we knew where you lived ....
And the other point is - if you will notice, everyone else has filled in a location in their profiles;
there is a reason for this:

Quote:
We try to maintain a little custom around here of posting our locations in our user profiles; that way it appears in every post or reply that you make. If you look at the upper right hand corner of this window you will see that I am located in Lubbock,Texas. We have found this to be especially helpful because so many of our threads wind up in discussions of where to find parts, materials or some activity where local conditions are a factor. You will probably be surprised how often this is true here. Besides that, we're just naturally nosy & like to know where everyone's coming from. Posting it one time in a reply is not the same as doing it automatically in every reply.

If you would please, look in the upper left area of this page at the blue banner with white lettering, click on "User CP" to open your control panel; click "edit profile"and scroll down to the location line & fill it in. City & state / province is sufficient. Then be sure to scroll on down to the bottom of the page & click "save changes" & you're done. We will appreciate it.

Let them eat hope.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

Janet Reno killed more children at Waco with Bill Clinton's permission than Adam Lanza killed at Sandy Hook.
Old 08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Lord of the Minions

Funny how things roll by areas. After getting my first Wheel Horse mower/tractor complete with a snowplow, I ran an ad "wanted Wheel Horse Tractors and accessories". I was given another pair of snowplows, unused of course.

Considering my age, I've never ever shoveled the first pile of snow here in Louisiana in my life, so why in the world would people buy a snowplow, unless they were thinking they could doze dirt or sand. Which BTW, must have mean't hard work for those that could afford the prices of a Horse. I guess it's no wonder they were never used.

Not to be "anti-snowplow" hobby building, but I'm guessing you could find a used unit and morph it to your vehicle cheaper than you could buy all the parts, metal and build one from scratch.

Of course, because your homeless, why worry about it!

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Oh geez, Clay Aiken thinks I'm being insensitive for my unwillingness to remove this sig line...
Old 08-26-2007, 09:53 PM
Searching for the Standard of Purity

Have you think about working outside at -10 degrees,with frozen fingers trying to attach that plow to Jeep bumper? Have you ever seen what mechanics use to push broken cars in theirs garages?It is attachment to the bumper with layer of rubber on the top to prevent scratches to the pushed car. They even drive their trucks with such bumper on the road. Point is this bumper attachment is only 4 inches of the ground-you get idea?
Old 08-26-2007, 10:08 PM

Being in an area that only gets snow maybe 3 times a year I do not have much to look at as far as examples. I have a blade already but the hook-up design is confusing. I would also like to have this be a project for one of my welding students and the rule in the shop is no plans, no build. So I just really need some good direction on hookups and hydraulics that will work and then I can formulate some plans with the students. thanks
Old 08-26-2007, 10:17 PM
Lord of the Minions

Quote:
I would also like to have this be a project for one of my welding students and the rule in the shop is no plans, no build.
So have them get out of the class room in the afternoons or on weekends, find those plows already in use, take measurements, take pictures and have them discuss, design, revision and draw a complete set of plans and then make one of choice and function. I doubt a plow owner would ever refuse a group of kids asking honest questions, taking pictures or measurements for an honest class project.

An idea for a project doesn't always have to be of the simplest approach to teach another valued lessons.

BTW, if your only looking at using it 2 or 3 times a season, you'd be better off going with a winch to pickup and lower the blade. It would certainly keep the cost down, and most certainly keep the cost of maintenance lower.
LW

I take on faith that a Twinkie will explode in a Microwave Oven with an average time of 45 seconds.

Oh geez, Clay Aiken thinks I'm being insensitive for my unwillingness to remove this sig line...
Old 08-27-2007, 12:09 AM
Armchair Webbie

Welcome weldingtaught,
Since you're a teacher, you probably have more access to research materials than most. Back in the 50's, Popular Mechanics and Popular Science magazines both had plans for snowplows. I'm sure with a little digging, you could find them in the"Reader's Guide to Periodicals" It was pretty cool. The one from Popular Science was mounted on the front of a 1950 Buick!

Dave