Shop Floor Talk  

Go Back   Shop Floor Talk > Welding and Metalworking Forums > Machining

SFT Search:   

Old 07-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Gadget Girl

Default Another Johnson model J project

Hi, I'm kinda new to this forum. I was looking for a cheap/good bandsaw and happened to do a search and this site came up. Great site.

Okay, So here is the scoop. I had been looking on Craigslist for a metal band saw and most of the one's coming up were the cheaper china types, all located several states away.

Then one day, I happen to put in Metal bandsaw and this advert comes up for a Johnson just a couple towns away for 300.00.

I google Johnson and here I was. So, after reading what makes these saws great and seeing Dake still offered some parts I made a deal to buy it for 250.00 though it needs some work and is 3phase power. Only 1 phase here.

Model J, serial # JH16477

I plan on restoring the saw as I go along.

My questions are is there anywhere to by parts for these besides Dake or Danco? The prices are really high.

Does anybody have a color # for the original green paint?

I need new bearings for the blade guides and one of the guides is broken. I figure if I can find a couple of good used guides I'll go that way if not I'll make a couple out of 5160 which should be rigid enough.

Also, need a sump pan and sump screen for the wet system.

Any bearing #'s for the gear drive and seals?

Any help would be appreciated. Jennifer

Last edited by allessence; 01-07-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:54 PM
Curmudgeon

Welcome aboard, Jennifer.
Your local bearing house can probably match the bearings much cheaper than Dake will sell them to you.
The blade guides are so simple a caveman or I can build them well enough to work.
I much preferred that to paying the $348 apiece that I was quoted.
I believe the paint was matched by a guy named Paul Cataldo but he seemed reticent about divulging the color code he used; you can see his pictures that Paychk posted for him in reply #7 of this thread, if you haven't already found it. And he relates some details about his restoration in post 15 of the same thread.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:33 PM

My model J rebuild thread is here:

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19648

I had to get some new bearings as well; I rewired everything, but motor is 1PH. A 1PH motor will work fine and will be cheaper than a VFD unless you need 3PH for other tools.

One of my guides was also broken but had been welded in the past. You might be able to repair yours that way if all the pieces are in place.

My saw is late 30s, early 40s vintage so somewhat older than yours.

I repainted mine with Valspar machine enamel. It's gray to match the other machines in my shop. This paint can be gotten in any other color at Lowes. I suggest taking in a cover or other part for a color match if you want the original green.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 PM
Co-founder, Harbor Freight 12 Step Program

Welcome Jennifer, we'll look forward to following your restoration project. Oh, did I mention that we love pics?

"I'll keep my freedom, my guns and my money. They can keep the change."
Old 07-22-2009, 09:01 PM
Gadget Girl

Thanks for the info. I have to admit I am lacking in the picture department at least for a few more days. My loved one took the camera to family function.

The Saw came out of a foundry maybe 3-4 years ago. The person whom I bought it from said he basically picked it up for scrap price. He was dealing in metal scrap at the time.

The sump pan was originally there but he said he lost it somewhere. The guide was broken a while back by the looks of it. Looks like someone dropped the head/ top onto the vise and the inside front guide hit the vise.

I will need an offset bolt and bearing for the fixed guide.

Is Dake my only option for parts?

As to fixing it up. I cleaned up the old metal chips and old gear box lube/grease today and freed up the tensioner by chasing the threads. Everything is clean and moving.

Is the Valspar paint oil based?
Old 07-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Curmudgeon

Jennifer, I managed to find 2 eccentric bolts locally, bought them from a machine tool rebuilder. I think he charged me about $20 for the pair and that was all he could contribute to my saw project. He gets his parts from Dake so you'll probably need to buy those there too.

If you have the other guide you can take the bearings off of it to a local supplier; they are not proprietary items, just sealed ball bearings.

A sheet metal shop should be able to fab up a pan for the thing if you could find another one to get some measurements. Honestly, I don't need coolant for my saw nor do I want the mess & bother because I'm not into cutting large solids very often. The water tray is handy to catch the sawdust and small drops. If I were you, I'd focus on getting it operational first & worry about the pan later. Take your time & you might find one. Same with the pump.

"Dr. Chandran, will I dream?"

I want to go home!
Oh! Come to think of it, I am home.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:33 PM
American Tools Keep Americans Working

Quote:
one of the guides is broken
Easy to weld using either the TIG or stick process, with Nickel 99 filler (or Nickel 99 electrode). Any welding specialty shop should be able to do that for you. If you can't find a local shop that will, ship the broken parts to me & I'll make them one again

Quote:
need a sump pan and sump screen for the wet system.
Most any sheet metal shop, like a HVAC supplier, can bend & weld a sump. My Johnson R uses a heavy little "puck" that has a screen over the intake - any easy job for any machine shop. Running wet is the only way to go (according to the blade manufacturers), and the Johnson J or Johnson R will spill hardly a drop a day under heavy use.

Quote:
and is 3phase power.
IIRC, the J Model has a 1.0 hp motor, so a VFD (which allows running the 3 phase motor from single phase power) is not expensive. The ACTech SMVector runs just $167.04 from Wolf Automation - part # ESV751N02YXB - but requires 208-240 volt input. Same drive with 120 volt input - part # ESV751N01SXB - is $188.79. Shipping adds $8.30 more, or at least it did on the larger 3 hp drive that came last week. The VFD also allows slowing the blade speed down, which can be nice for very thin or harder materials.

Quote:
are is there anywhere to by parts for these besides Dake
Not for the Dake specific parts. It's probably cheaper to find another Model J & use the second saw as a parts supplier.

You will also need the blade brushes & blade brush holders, as they wipe the junk off the blade both before & after the guides. Without blade brushes, the life of the guide bearings will be much shorter. The Brush Kit (six pair of brushes) is $45.39, Dake PN5133-S. You'll also need two Brush Holders at $9.38 each, Dake PN 5122-00.

They are awesome saws to use, easy to fix, and will last quite a few lifetimes
Old 07-23-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Is the Valspar paint oil based?
Yes. Covers nicely in one coat.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:02 PM
Gadget Girl

Made a little progress in the last couple days.

The guide bearing are 5201kdd. Measure. id 12mmX OD 32mmX15.8 (16mm)

Found them from 9.95-45.00 each.

I ordered double sealed variety.

The top bearings are just a plain 6000ZZ. measure: ID 10mmX26mmX8mm

these ranged from 12.00-34.00 each.

Doubled sealed here also.

The 6000 series bearings have a spacer/shim pressed into them to get the 8mm or 5/16 bolt hole size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	johnson bandsaw resize112.jpg
Views:	636
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	48838  

Last edited by allessence; 07-27-2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-26-2009, 05:17 PM
Gadget Girl

Hi Took some pictures of the move on the trailer and then on the ground. Found some pictures of the Johnson in fresh paint and will be going to Lowes tomorrow. Went to HomeDepot but didn't have any good paint. No Oil based.

Also, got the extra motor I had hanging around mounted onto the saw. It's a 3HP but it seems to work. Need to get a step sheave for the 1 1/8" shaft next.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Johnson1.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	48816   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00262.JPG
Views:	1010
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	48817   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00265.JPG
Views:	1043
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	48818   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00267.JPG
Views:	1045
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	48819  

Last edited by allessence; 07-26-2009 at 08:14 PM. Reason: remove imbedded image, upload attachment